Vitamin D deficiency kills more than one million people each year. Here are some author quotes from www.HealthBookSummaries.com about why maintaining proper Vitamin D levels is so important. I personally have blood tests at least once a year, and usually twice, to monitor my Vitamin D levels (and much more), since this is the only way to know whether to increase or decrease one’s Vitamin D supplementation.
1. "Vitamin D suppresses tumor growth and promotes differentiation in colorectal cancer in much the same ways it does in breast and prostate cancer. Normal colon cells have higher vitamin D receptor concentrations than abnormal or cancerous colon cells." – James Dowd and Diane Stafford, The Vitamin D Cure
2. "The combination of vitamin D and vitamin A slows prostate cancer cell growth in the lab. Clinical research on activated vitamin D and vitamin D-like molecules in humans shows promise. We know that activated vitamin D alone often slows the growth of prostate tumors, and the different concentrations of vitamin D receptors on cancer cells versus normal prostate cells can help to separate cancer cells from normal cells by growth rates." – James Dowd and Diane Stafford, The Vitamin D Cure
3. "D deficiency that plagues 80 percent of the American population. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with depression, prostate cancer, breast cancer, osteoporosis and almost every other degenerative disorder. ‘The elderly, who spend little time in the sun and use sunscreen agents frequently, may be at risk for vitamin d deficiency,’ according to a statement made by the Mayo Clinic." – Andreas Moritz, Cancer Is Not A Disease – It’s a Survival Mechanism
4. "Over 42 percent of Americans suffer from vitamin D deficiency, and 47 percent of pregnant women are severely deficient in this important hormone. Their children tend to have weak bones that break easily, even during their childhood years. Many chronic illnesses are due to vitamin D deficiency, including osteoporosis, cancer, and depression. You cannot stop a vitamin D deficiency by taking supplements. Sunlight is the only real remedy. To make sufficient amounts of vitamin D, dark-skinned people need to spend at least two to three times longer in the sun than do Caucasians." – Andreas Moritz, The Liver and Gallbladder Miracle Cleanse: An All-Natural, At-Home Flush to Purify and Rejuvenate Your Body
5. "Vitamin D may play an anti-cancer role by slowing cell division. Sunshine is the natural source of vitamin D." – Dr. Steve Blake, Vitamins and Minerals Demystified
6. "Vitamin D is crucial for the immune system and may play a role in cancer prevention as well." – Kenneth W Thomas, Ron Gilbert, Gerd Schaller, Side Effects: The Hidden Agenda of the Pharmaceutical Drug Cartel
7. "In 2007, Doctor Cedrick Garland and colleagues, using pooled analyses of available research, estimated that maintaining a vitamin D blood level of 55ng/ml could annually prevent 250,000 deaths worldwide, including 60,000 in the USA." – Marc Sorenson, Solar Power For Optimal Health
8. "I even learned that your own body freely generates the best anti-cancer medicine in the world – vitamin D – a nutrient that’s been proven to slash breast cancer risk by an astonishing 50 percent, but only if you get some exposure to natural sunlight or consume vitamin D through fish oils and nutritional supplements. – Mike Adams, Natural Health Solutions
9. "All African Americans have vitamin D deficiency and they consequently have higher rates of cancer. Slathering on sunscreen is not such a good idea. We’ve gone too far with sunscreen because we’re not getting enough vitamin D. This is a ‘coming public health disaster in the US.’ Everyone should get a half hour of sunshine a day."
– Stacy Malkan, Not Just a Pretty Face: The Ugly Side of the Beauty Industry
10. "Research shows that vitamin D has a variety of important benefits besides lowering blood sugar. It seems to protect against eighteen different kinds of cancers, has a significant positive impact on the immune system in fighting colds and flus, viruses, and TB, and protects against rickets and osteoporosis." – Gabriel Cousens, There Is a Cure for Diabetes: The Tree of Life 21-Day+ Program
11. "Those not getting sufficient sunshine to meet their vitamin D needs should take a supplement. Vitamin D deficiency is epidemic in America, and it contributes not only to the development of osteoporosis but to increased cancer and heart disease as well." – Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Cholesterol Protection for Life, New Expanded Edition
12. "On the other hand, lack of sun exposure and subsequent vitamin D deficiency kills more than one million people each year. Comparatively, the risk of being harmed by the sun is minimal. The most dangerous of skin cancers, which is melanoma, usually appears in parts of the skin where the sun does not reach at all, or not reach enough. If you have the opportunity, for optimal protection expose your entire body to the sun, including the private parts." – Andreas Moritz, Cancer Is Not A Disease — It’s A Survival Mechanism
13. "Now it seems as if every month there is a new study documenting the beneficial effects of sunlight and vitamin D, which, as you know, we get from the sun. For instance, in one of these recent studies, researchers at the Moores Cancer Center at the University of California, San Diego (a very sunny place), concluded that almost 150,000 cases of cancer – particularly colorectal and breast cancer – could be prevented each year by just ten to fifteen minutes a day of exposure to sunlight." – Frank Lipman, Mollie Doyle, Spent: Revive: Stop Feeling Spent and Feel Great Again
14. "Numerous other studies have supported this research, showing that modest unprotected exposure to sunlight helps the body produce the vitamin D it needs to keep bones healthy and protect against cancer, including skin cancer. Yes, you read that right. Of course, repeated sunburns – especially in childhood and in very fair-skinned people – have been linked to melanoma. But there is no credible scientific evidence that moderate sun exposure causes skin cancer." – Frank Lipman, Mollie Doyle, Spent: Revive: Stop Feeling Spent and Feel Great Again
15. "A study from Finland also confirmed a connection with a deficiency of vitamin D and prostate cancer. People living in northern hemispheres, where the days are dark most of the winter months, could benefit from taking a vitamin D supplement. Don’t forget about also taking a whole food supplement to get all your daily requirements of all the essential nutrients." – Gregory, A. Gore, Defeat Cancer
16. "The net result is, that not getting enough sunlight lowers your vitamin D and serotonin levels and thereby increases your risk of cancer and many other illnesses. Also be aware that most cosmetics now contain UV-blocking chemicals. These include face creams, makeup products, moisturizers, lotions and anti-wrinkle creams. If you feel you absolutely need a sunscreen product because you are unable to avoid the direct midday sun, make sure it has mostly natural ingredients in them." – Andreas Moritz, Cancer Is Not A Disease — It’s A Survival Mechanism
17. "Doses of 1 micro-gram per day of vitamin D have been shown to reduce blood pressure in hypercalcemic patients. Vitamin D may also be effective against cancer. Results of one nineteen-year long study of 1954 Chicago men which showed that an intake of greater than 3.75 micrograms per day of vitamin D was associated with a 50 percent reduction of colorectal cancer." – Gary Null, Ph.D., Gary Nulls Ultimate Anti-Aging Program
18. "We know that the skin needs vitamin D, which is produced in response to sunshine. We also know that the skin needs vitamin A. But today man’s body has become so degenerated, so filled with mucus, acid toxins, and mineral and vitamin deficiencies that he can’t spend a great amount of time in the sunshine. There are many people who develop all kinds of skin conditions from exposure to the sun and then falsely put the blame on sunshine. The sun pulls out the impurities below the skin – trying to purify you. Skin cancers spring from toxic cells." – Patricia Bragg and Paul C. Bragg, The Miracle of Fasting: Proven Throughout History for Physical, Mental & Spiritual Rejuvenation
I also just read today about a study showing that overweight people have better success losing weight when they increase their Vitamin D levels: http://blogs.healthfreedomalliance.org/blog/2010/01/29/vitamin-d-promotes-weight-loss
The bottom line is that research appears to be revealing that a handful of nutritional supplements may provide extremely wide-ranging health benefits. I now refer to these as a "broad-spectrum nutritional supplements." Vitamin D seems to be one such supplement. CoQ10 (specifically in the Ubiquinol form for people older than 30) seems to be another. Resveratrol also appears to show promise in this regard as well. And so might stem cell health enhancers like the one I have talked about elsewhere on this website.
As always, this information, like all of my free and for-sale resources at www.TheNewIQ.com, is purely educational. Always check with your appropriate health care professional before deciding how any information you read here (or anywhere else for that matter!) might apply to your particular situation. That’s an important part of being self-responsible for your health.